Scottish Produce Mark FAQs

The list below answers some frequently asked questions.

If you can’t find the answers that you are looking for, please contact us at

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to be a member of the Scottish Crofting Federation (SCF)?

Yes, the SCP Mark has been developed and promoted by the SCF. Therefore, membership is needed to join. SCF membership has many other advantages too. From legal advice, copies of The Crofter magazine, as well as supporting an organisation who campaigns for crofting are just some of the other benefits to membership. If you are not a member, why not join up to help support the Scottish crofting community and add your produce to the SCP Mark.

Can a group of crofters join up as a co-operative?

Yes, as long as the majority of the produce is a product/made on a registered croft (or crofts) and your consumers know what they are getting (ie, that the meat is a co-operative rather than of a single origin).

Can I sell ostrich under the SCP Mark?

If the ostrich that you keep and the product that you sell from it follow the laws pertaining to it (e.g., ostrich requires holding a wild animal licence) and it conforms to the SCP Mark criteria, then yes.

I’m not good at marketing, does that matter?

No, we all have different skills. One of the benefits of joining the SCP mark is that your produce is advertised on the SCF website as well as promoted via our social media channels at various times over a year.

My cattle are not under any health schemes, can I join?

Health schemes for cattle have a huge benefit of demonstrating the owner’s high welfare standards for their livestock. If you are not under any assurance scheme for your cattle, you can still join the SCP Mark but we do therefore seek evidence of these high welfare standards, such as an up-to-date health plan. There are several templates that can be used to help create a health plan for your animals.

Does it matter what I sell under the SCP Mark?

If the majority of the product or the labour involved has been done on a registered croft, you can apply for the SCP Mark. Food and drink can include fresh, frozen, fermented, cured, distilled, preserved, or smoked to name a few different methods used. Once you have submitted the application form, and your produce meets the criteria, you will receive confirmation from the SCF.

Can I sell fish under the SCP Mark?

The criteria for the SCP Mark is that the majority of your product or labour is from a croft. So, if the fish has been caught in the sea and is sold fresh, then no, the majority of the produce nor the labour has been done on the croft. However, if you rear fish on your croft, or you process it (e.g., salt/smoke/etc) on your croft, the majority of the labour has therefore been done on the croft and it can be applied for under the SCP Mark. All fish (and other aquatic produce) has to be legally caught.

Does it matter how I label the food I am selling?

Yes, there are particular laws regarding selling food and what information is required. Some of this can be found online at Labelling guidance for prepacked for direct sale (PPDS) food products | Food Standards Agency. Your local Environmental Health Officer is also someone who can help assist with this to ensure your produce has the necessary information for the consumers. With joining the SCP Mark, we can provide the labels that show it as having an SCP Mark.

Why should I join, I already sell my crofting produce?

By joining the SCP Mark, it can add value to your produce and help showcase crofting to the general public. To many, the concept of crofting is unfamiliar and the ability of crofters to generate a plethora of locally produced foods from the marginally lands of the Highlands and Islands is remarkable. While each croft and crofter can showcase their own story and produce through various channels, joining voices to help highlight these to the nation can help ensure the crofting culture and community is recognised and celebrated for what it accomplishes.